Saturday, December 27, 2008

The Barbarian Way

"When Christianity becomes just another religion, it focuses on requirements. Just to keep people in line, we build our own Christian civilization and then demand that everyone who believes in Jesus become a good citizen. It's hard to imagine that Jesus would endure the agony of the Cross just to keep us in line."
-Erwin Raphael McManus
The Barbarian Way


I got together with my girls Bible study group from high school today. We all only get to really see each other about once or twice a year because everyone is spread out all over the US now. It was really fun and I realized how blessed I've been in my life to have some good friends who understand that Jesus is the point of Christianity - not rules, not religion, not "keeping people in line" like it says above - but Jesus. I wish more people understood that. I think it would shift the tide when it comes to the role of the church in the world today.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails