Wednesday, December 17, 2008

5 Minutes: Tattoos & Jesus Freaks

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket
(Pictures were taken with my iPhone - sorry they aren't digital camera pics)

First of all, it's actually a little nervewracking to do this. 5 minutes on the clock, write whatever comes to my mind and don't stop until the timer goes off. Eeek.

So Lewis got a new tattoo this weekend - a really big one on his arm. (See pictures above.) The tattoo actually means a lot to him personally and spiritually and to the two of us together. Tattoos are something that I always wanted and always had an appreciation for, possibly because my dad has one and possibly just because I am who I am. But tattoos were not always something that Lewis wanted. I sort-of had an affect on that, as did many other things in the last few years of his life. He now has 3 big tattoos and he wants more.

Some people have given me some grief about tattoos - which is fine. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion, but I would like to share mine - as just a voice in the midst of many. When it comes to your kids getting tattoos - as long as it's not a super offensive word or picture - if tattoos are the worst thing you're dealing with, you're doing okay. If I have a child who is respectful, honest, sincere, well-behaved and sober, I will not put up a fight when it comes to the color of their hair, their clothing, tattoos, piercings or any other superficial ridiculousness that could cause an argument. I will put up a fight about the state of their soul, the way they treat other people and the way they are fundamentally in themselves. I especially will not put up a fight about a tattoo that somehow describes an important and meaningful event or person or belief in their life.

Also, when it comes to my children, my highest goal will be to raise them in a way that promotes open, honest and sincere conversation about that world around them. Because I am a Christian I will always teach them and guide them in a way that reflects the things that I hold highest in my life, but almost even more-so because I am raising them in a Christian home - I want tattoos. Because if nothing else, I want them to know that it is the state of their heart and the state of their mind and soul that matters more than anything they could do or wear or put onto their bodies.

I just think it's important to emphasize what matters and let go the irrelevant arguments.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails