Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Movie Review: Milk

I thought this movie was absolutely fabulous. The feeling I had throughout the movie was one of overwhelming heart-felt emotion. I just felt for everyone in the movie. I thought the performances by Sean Penn, Emile Hirsch and James Franco were wonderful. I thought the way the story was told was beautiful. I think Gus Van Sant pieces together movies in the most beautiful ways.

As a political statement, I thought the movie was important and really made you see how absurd it is to deny basic civil rights to a group of people for any reason. It is their lives they're fighting for, as they say in the movie, and it is important that we allow everyone the freedom and equality that this country was founded to provide.

As a Christian, I thought this movie was relevant and I really think it is important that those of us who are Christians understand that there is a difference between being Biblical and following Jesus and then being filled with rage and bigotry. I know that Jesus would not have treated anyone the way the Christians treated Harvey Milk and the homosexual community at the time portrayed by the movie. It was heartbreaking for me to watch that.

As a documentary of Harvey Milk, I thought the movie did a wonderful job of showing him personally and politically. It showed him as a political figure and face of a movement and it showed him personally and privately as well. In the end (SPOILER - although not if you know the true events of his life), I was overwhelmed at the 30,000 person march upon his death. I don't even think 1,000 people know my name, let alone would care if I was gone. He made such an impact and it is important that it is recognized.

Overall, I just think you should see it - no matter what your personal, political or religious views may be.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails