Friday, January 19, 2007

I hate politics, but...

I hate politics. I guess I more just hate what politics does to people. I cannot even count how many silly conversations I have sat in on and just listened to people bicker about Republican vs. Democrat. When it really comes down to it, I think it is absurd for some people to claim to just 100% be one party or the other. Most of us fall somewhere in the middle or at least agree with a majority of the issues of one party or another.

The candidates for the 2008 election are beginning to announce their desire to run or make their statements. I have never really focused my attention on politics, choosing rather to just deal with what the majority of my fellow Americans decide is best. It's a dangerous stance to take and I'm making an effort to be more involved in learning about issues and candidates this time.

My problem is that I have a hard time voting one way or another for a party. I vote for the candidate. Part of the problem as well is that I firmly agree with many Replublican values and I firmly agree with many Democrat values. My friend, Peter, introduced me to a new plan that I think everyone should at least learn about if they are of age to vote in 2008.

Unity 08 is making an effort to provide a different type of ballot than has ever been offered before. They would like to offer a bi-partisan ticket. A Republican President and Democrat Vice President or vice versa. Personally, I think that would be amazing and would much better represent my political views and opinions.

My political views are still in development and I am making an effort to learn more about the issues that are important to me. I encourage everybody to do the same thing.

4 comments:

janine said...

politics give me an ache in the head.
and usually i just feel like... if i vote it doesn't even matter because it's only one stinkin vote.

Peter Brackney said...

Janine-
Every vote does matter, especially in local elections where only a handful of votes could impact the outcome of an election. Local elections don't matter? WRONG! Local leaders decide whether to build a highway next your house or put a Wal-Mart next door (or whether they want to evict you from your property via eminent domain and put the Wal-Mart in place of your house) or about the schools your kids go to.

National leaders decide when our brothers and sisters, moms and dads, our friends, and our countrymen come home from Iraq.

Elections matter and elections have consequences.

I agree with Cameron - it would be amazing if Unity08 works. Politics is a partisan, bitter place.

Check out my blog at american moderate party. Cameron already linked to it (thanks!) and we address the issues and candidates and look at things not from the left or from the right - but from the center. And that is where we all are, so let us elect leaders who share those values.

My name is Peter and I approve this message.

janine said...

mister peter.

if you run for president, i will vote for you.

i voted in the last election.

and i am a registered voter.

i have a habit of voicing local concern. playing devil's advocate.
etc.

i am a gemini and i shop at walmart frequently. i do not support animal abuse but i do support roadkill cleanup.

i am totally for the issue of politicians discussing matters over peanut butter sandwiches and glasses of chocolate milk. i think the world would be a better place.

world peace.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you...

I just have way to hard of time believing anything any politician says... because I just do.

And I still haven't decided how I feel about certain issues.

And it's way late.

Hey, I leave monday, by the way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails