Thursday, May 29, 2008

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull Movie Review

I'm going to make this short as I possibly can considering how passionately I felt about what had happened in the last 2 hours of my life after seeing this movie and I'm going to ruin the movie for you, so if you're REALLY hell-bent on seeing the movie and don't want any spoilers, then don't read this...

It's Indiana Jones vs. Aliens. Aliens!!!!! OMG. I have several good things to say:

1. Harrison Ford does not make a fool out of himself. I was nervous that it was going to be embarrassing because he is so old now, but it was not.
2. Shia LaBeouf is funny as always, although there is a scene where he is swinging in trees with these anti-Communist monkeys. Not the greatest plot line if you ask me.
3. The movie itself is great, like the cinematography and all that. It's action-packed, it's adventure, it's all those kinds of things.

But...

IT'S INDIANA JONES VS. ALIENS!!!

I mean, come on. What in the world does that have to do with archeology? Trying to make an alien landing correspond to the Aztecs? That's just not Indiana Jones. Give me the ark of the covenant (IJ & the Raiders of the Lost Ark), give me the cult rituals in the Temple of Doom, give me the search for the Holy Grail (IJ & the Last Crusade), but for the love of all that is good and holy, DO NOT bring aliens into the picture!! It killed it for me. And in the end when he pops that crystal alien skull back on the skeleton and then it comes to life, the room starts spinning, and the flying saucer shoots out into space, I just wanted to cry because it was so far below what it could have been.

Honestly, rent National Treasure 2: Book of Secrets - you'll have the same search for a hidden city made completely of gold and it's actually much better.

And if you're really interested in seeing some old geezer come back from the 80's/90's to suck out all the money he can from the popularity of his first movies, rent Rocky Balboa because it actually closed the Rocky series out on an excellent note as opposed to this which just was preposterous.

(I bet there are even a couple of people who think I'm joking about this. No, I'm not. It's about aliens.)

1 comment:

Ian said...

alot of people have said that, and its definitely different, but i think if you notice that the movie style itself stayed so true to the original movies and was so well done, you have to trust George Lucas as a writer to some extent, with whereever he takes it. each of the previous three dealt with a completely different subject, so its only fitting to some degree.

this helped me like the movie better:
http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080518/REVIEWS/969461084/1023

Related Posts with Thumbnails