Thursday, May 22, 2008

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian Movie Review

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian is the second part of the series based on C.S. Lewis' world-renowned books. My initial reaction was one of slight disappointment when compared to the first movie, although I expected as much. I don't think that any sequels will compare to the original for several reasons, but the main one in this case being that more people have read the first book and are familiar with the story. I'm not sure I can put my finger on exactly what it was beyond that, but the movie was more battle and war than other storylines. I felt more drawn to the characters in the original movie than I did in this one.

One main problem I did have with the movie was the complete cheesiness of a couple of scenes. I was just all too aware that I was watching a Disney movie. When Prince Caspian is calling the Narnians to his side in the woods and then when that ridiculously voiced grizzly bear calls out, "For Aslan!!" I was just almost embarrassed by the complete corniness of the way it was portrayed. The entire theater laughed at the scene with the bear. Be prepared for that.

That being said, it is an epic story, one that has resonated with people for generations so far and will continue to do so in the future. The cinematography was well done and the 4 children in the main roles are very convincing, in my opinion. It definitely had more violence than I would have expected for a movie that is basically a children's movie. There is a scene where someone's head is cut off, although in true Disney fashion, there is little to no blood.

I'm not going to recommend it for everyone the way I would some movies, but if you go see it, I'm very interested in your thoughts!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

haven’t seen Prince Caspian yet but definitely looking forward to it… i’ll have to look over the book one more time just to remind myself how the original story goes

Related Posts with Thumbnails