Wednesday, November 5, 2008

President-elect Barack Obama

Obama: 349, McCain: 147

I'm very aware that many people are bitter and angry over the decision to elect Barack Obama as America's 44th President. And with that in mind, I would like to just say a couple of things about my observations last night.

There was record-breaking voter turnout, specifically from the youth of America. It's very easy to be upset by the decision or even upset by the voice of the youth, but it is undeniable that this was clearly the majority opinion in the United States. With that in mind, we can at least be happy to know that the majority has spoken. Thank you for voting. Thank you for exercising your right to speak out in a historic Presidential election.

John McCain's concession speech was eloquent and graceful and was done with respect. I admire that and will continue to maintain an attitude of respect for him. Unlike many who are upset right now, I never thought this was an election between good and evil. I thought it was an election between two men who have each worked very hard for the positions they hold in our country and who are both very deserving of the job. They had different methods for solving the nation's problems and the one who most people agreed with was the one who won.

One of the most interesting and beautiful things for me while watching last night was to see Obama's crowd. While McCain's crowd seemed to be many people of the same race, age group and background (from what I could see), Obama's crowd made it impossible for you to pick out even one group above the others. There were young and old, black, white and asian, a plethora of different groups, backgrounds and types of people. And they were standing together, united for a common cause. I don't expect Obama to solve all of the nation's problems, but it would have been absurd to expect McCain to either. What I do hope continues is that there is an attitude of respect in the midst of a united range of people who finally embrace their differences and work together for a solution. (Right now, we just need to work on the respect part.)

And for those of us who are Christians, both Christians who agree with the decision and Christians who don't, we are still called to the same life and to the same purpose and no matter what, we need to be in prayer for the leaders of our country.

(I have disabled comments as I didn't want this to be a discussion. I just wanted to give you my perspective and then stop talking about politics in general. More than anything, I'm just glad it's over.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails