Monday, November 24, 2008

Quotes for the Day

"I’m selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I’m out of control, but if you can’t handle me at my worst you don’t deserve me at my best."
-Marilyn Monroe

"My head says “who cares?”. My heart says “you do, stupid”."
-Source


These both remind me of myself. I tend to get so down on myself for the stupid mistakes in my past or the millions of times I have said or done the wrong thing. I make mistakes - absolutely - it happens all the time. I am not the person I want to be, but I'm closer to that person than I was a year ago, a month ago, even a week ago. How different would the world be if we just embraced the fact that we are not going to be perfect and we aren't going to make everyone happy and be everyone's ideal of beauty or grace or strength. But we all have something to offer. I refuse to be defined by my darkest moments. I am not that person.

I also tend to apologize all the time for my eccentricities. I got little business cards made for my blog. They're super cute and they have the girl in the header on them with my blog address and blog email. I've told everyone not to make fun of me before I give them out because I'm so worried that someone will think I'm dorky because I have a blog. But - to all you who read blogs or have blogs - you understand why I do this blog and why I keep it up and spend so much time on it. It's not to be vain or to be self-indulgent. It's to be creative and to be myself. It's because I enjoy it. It's because there is a huge part of me that looks forward to those couple of hours each day or week that I post on my blog. I'm proud of it and I like it and if that makes me dorky, then so be it. I'm always trying to say "whatever," "who cares?" And the quote is right - I DO. I like Buffy, I like television, I like blogs - both my own and other peoples, I would rather read than go out a lot of the time, I love Jesus and I love my friends and I am proud of how far I've come in my life. And if all those things make me dorky, then that's fine. At least I'm unique and authentic and am not blending into the background of complacency and apathy in our culture. I am me. Take it or leave it.

1 comment:

RB said...

I love both those quotes. The Marilyn one is great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails