Tuesday, October 28, 2008

10 Great Novels I Want to Read

Guardian posted The 100 Greatest Novels of All Time and I picked out 8 that I have never read and think I need to read. I also looked at the TIME Magazine list and added a few after that.

1. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
2. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert
3. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
4. The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope
5. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
6. The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien
7. One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
8. LA Confidential by James Ellroy

9. Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
10. Mrs. Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
11. Naked Lunch by William Burroughs
12. Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates


Which would you pick?

2 comments:

Brooke said...

the great gatsby would take you two days, maybe. and fitzgerald rewrote it 22 different times. you can borrow it if you want.

I would add some faulkner. Absolom, absolom! or as I lay dying.

I also think everyone should read Uncle Tom's Cabin-not necessarily because it's a great story but because it's really important in American history

kate said...

revolutionary road is really, really good...maybe start with that!

(not sure if you meant which one we'd pick out of this list, or out of every book ever! if it's the latter...that might take me awhile, hahaha)

Related Posts with Thumbnails