Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Politics With Peter - Primary Day in Kentucky

I've asked Peter to contribute some political comments to my blog during the upcoming election season. Peter is going to be giving me periodic updates so I can keep all of YOU updated! I have several friends who say they don't vote because they aren't informed...well, I'm helping to inform you. Peter says posts will never go over 500 words, so it should be fun. I am not going to 100% endorse everything that Peter may say, but I do trust that he investigates his viewpoints and political beliefs in a more in-depth way than most people I know. Also - "Politics with Peter" is my cheesy name for it, not Peters and I like to think of it as cute and not cheesy. Here is his first post, read more here:


Election Day in Kentucky. As a longtime politico, I always look forward to this day with great excitement. And today was no different, but last night was. I stayed up late into the evening scanning the endorsements and webpages of the various candidates running for U.S. Senate. Then I reviewed whatever information I could glean from the web about another race – City Commissioner.

Many Americans view Election Day as a quadrennial affair. I do not. I think that every race – from President to county magistrate – is important in that it has an effect on each of our lives. In fact, it is those races closest to home that will impact us the most.

But the world’s focus is currently on the Democratic nomination for President, and so it should be. After eight years of the failed policies of the Bush administration, Americans yearn for change. That is why today I voted for Senator Barack Obama. He is our best hope for uniting this country after eight years of divisive politics because, as he said in 2004, “we are one people, all of us pledging allegiance to the stars and stripes, all of us defending the United States of America.”

Senator Clinton is a formidable opponent and would make a terrific President. But so is Senator Obama. A few policy differences exist between these candidates, but what truly distinguishes these fine candidates is Senator Obama’s ability to inspire Americans to overcome the status quo and accomplish greatness. Obama walks in the footprints of those who have similarly encouraged Americans. Lincoln. Roosevelt. Kennedy. King.

Many, however, disagree with my assessment of Senator Obama. I am the Democratic Precinct Chair in my precinct and had the privilege of canvassing my precinct for Senator Obama over the past week. We received tremendous support, but the amount of misinformation circulating among the populace is also amazing. I was inaccurately informed that Senator Obama was a Muslim. Others preferred to label him the Anti-Christ or were more ambiguous when they described him as “dark skinned with a slippery tongue.” I was accused by my neighbors as being “un-American” and was condemned: “Shame on you. You will stand on judgment day for this.”

I wish that such personal attacks were no longer and that misinformation did not abound. Unfortunately, many believe whatever they hear or read and many still live in fear of the unknown, aversion to that which is different, and intolerance toward those with whom they disagree. And what is more is that so many vote based on their fears, their intolerance, and their bigotry.

So I encourage each of you not only to vote – but to be informed. To understand the issues and the candidates and to make your decisions based on solid information. Voting is a privilege and it is one that should be executed only with great care. Exercise due diligence and exercise your right to vote because America needs wise leaders and hope as we brave the challenges which lie ahead.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails