Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Meal Planning

What have I been up to lately? Meal Planning. Yep, I've broken down into the mom-groove & I'm making an additional effort to be a good wife & mom - because apparently cooking meals at home is involved(?). Partly because I won't be working much this fall and then possibly not at all after that due to practicums at school and then student teaching. So I'm trying to make it easier on Lewis who will be providing our main source of income for the next year. Also, I'd like to be a little healthier and junk. It's just positive all the way around.

So here's what I did: I made a spreadsheet. It's super-nerdy and embarrassing, but that's the story of my life. It organizes 24 recipes that I found so far that seemed easy and didn't have too many ingredients. The ingredients are listed alphabetically on the left and they go in order of non-perishable items through perishable items. Then I labeled which recipes only use non-perishable items. So then I went to the grocery and bought all the non-perishable items and have started cooking the recipes that only use those items. (It's 17 recipes!!) And so far, I've only made 1 recipe because it's lasted us 3 days already and we haven't even eaten all of it! So from time to time, I decided to share my recipes with you! Also, you need to check out all the cool new blogs I found about recipes!! I love them! And please share your recipes with me! I'm going for few ingredients & easy!!

Mexican Rice Casserole
**Note: I used ground turkey meat instead of ground beef & I added corn & chopped onions to this recipe.**
Ingredients
1 package ground beef
1 package taco seasoning
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups rice
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Directions
1. Cook 2 cups rice with 4 3/4 cup water. Bring water to boil, add rice, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
2. Brown ground beef. Drain. Return to skillet, add 3/4 cup water, taco seasoning and tomato sauce. Stir through.
3. Add ground beef to rice. Put into 9×13 baking dish. Top with shredded cheese. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes until cheese melts.


Check out some recipe sites!
5 Dollar Dinners
Recipes to Go
A Year of Slow Cooking

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails