Friday, January 30, 2009

Choosing Vegetarianism as a Future Parent

Lewis and I haven't eaten red meat since July. It's surprising how much I don't miss it. I thought that it would be really difficult for me to go without a cheeseburger or a steak or some Hamburger Helper every once in a while, but it's really not. I've replaced the meat in my chili with some extra beans and the meat in my spaghetti with spinach. It's much easier than it sounds, especially considering I really love vegetables. In terms of white meat, we try to eat organic as much as possible. We usually just don't eat white meat, but if there is no other option, we'll eat regular white meat.

Because my best friend has 2 little girls, I think about kids all the time. I am always thinking about what kind of mother I want to be and the ways I want to parent. Lewis and I have decided already that we don't want to give our kids red meat at all. If they choose to eat it on their own as they get older, that's their decision, but we won't serve it at home. We also want to do the organic white meat with them, but I've been reading about vegetarianism in terms of your children and it's definitely safe and healthy and it would be an option. I don't think we will ever make the switch to absolute vegetarianism, but we will be limiting our meat intake as much as possible.

If you are a parent or are just interested in general, Treehugger has a great post about Children and Vegetarianism. It even has a recipe!

1 comment:

Mama Smors said...

ivy has never had red meat and the ped. went on and on about what a healthy choice this is for our child. not just bc of the known horomone risks (early puberty, infertility, etc) but also what other common health risks associated with red meat. also this is the ultimate way to go green and i know you are a fan of taking care of our beautiful planet! greg and i started the full veg. lifestyle 3 weeks ago- so far we have not missed meat at all. quorn is a great veggie substitue. yay for you and lewis!

Related Posts with Thumbnails