Sunday, December 23, 2007

Sweeney Todd - my thoughts


Sweeney Todd was fabulous. I think that Tim Burton is the master of what I would call "beautiful nightmares." His movies are just so lovely (visually) no matter what the plot is. With Sweeney Todd, first of all, there was more music than I expected, but after about 10 minutes of it, you're just in awe of Johnny Depp and the whole atmosphere of the movie. It was so artistic in the way it portrayed everything. It was the first time I've actually noticed how beautifully someone can light a movie. The blood is not realistic looking. Burton focuses on style over reality in a way that just comes off exactly the way it would need to. The actors were perfect and the overall stylistic feel of how Burton did everything just completely won me over. On top of that, it was incredibly funny and moving at the same time. Burton & Depp took a Broadway musical and made it something that even my husband - who HATES musicals - absolutely adored. Burton just has his own way...and he needs to just keep doing exactly what he's doing. I loved it.

That being said, I'm not recommending it to everyone, only because if you are a certain type of person, you could actually be incredibly offended by the movie. So, I leave it up to you whether or not you want to see it!

Read this review by Rolling Stone.

2 comments:

Brooke said...

i liked it, i didnt love it. however, who ever mixed the sound made it WAY too loud. I could hardly handle it. and it didnt really pick up until borat came in. i dont know. i think my expectations are always too high going into his movies.

Mandy said...

Oh I loved it so much! I agree with the "beautiful nightmares" statement, I don't think I could have said it better. Tim Burton's work is always magnificent, as well as, of course, Mr. Depp's.

Related Posts with Thumbnails