Monday, April 6, 2009

Safety Jesus

This is a post from Ragamuffin Soul. I just really liked it. Made me think.

safe
Pronunciation:
\ˈsāf\
Function:
adjective
Inflected Form(s):
saf·er; saf·est
Date:
14th century
1: free from harm or risk : unhurt
2: secure from threat of danger, harm, or loss
3: affording safety or security from danger, risk, or difficulty

I have 3 kids, a wife, a mortgage (albeit in California), a car payment, and a really sad 403b.
If there was ever a dude who needed safety it’s me.
When I read the definition above it creates a bit of nausea in my gut and even behind my man boobs.
The nausea is not because I do not think I need to provide safety for my family. I will protect them to my death.
But I do not want my kids to see their dad live a life where he never had to protect them.
Where his faith kept him safe.
I look at the modern day western church.
Not all, but most.
I think of the safety that is her walls.
I then think of the man and my Lord Jesus.
I think of the risk, danger, and harm that he endured.
I take both those pictures and place them side by side.

Something is wrong. Something is off.
Something is DANGEROUSLY missing.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails